View Single Post
Unread 06-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #40
Hot Pursuit

Name :
Hot Pursuit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
If someone is rolling down the road at a normal speed and pops the clutch or gooses the gas to makes the car lurch forward indicating an intention to race there's always the catch all - careless operation of a motor vehicle.

This is true; however, I've had several people tell me that an officer, trooper, Deputy (???) had told them that they were going to charge them with "exhibition of speed" and inpound thier vehicle???
Unfortunately, the statue opens itself for officers opinion adn interpretation as well as abuse in some cases.

*modified by STREETKNIGHT for content*
Sound's like BS to me (the officers statements). The cop mustv'e been trying to make a point, but chose the wrong way to make it. It's things like that which make the people on the fence become hostile to LEO. It sounds like a poor interpretation of the statute to me. At best the error was that the infraction could be cited, but impounded? Hopefully that situation ended with a simple cite or warning and the parting of ways...... Based on what was presented here I would go with a Careless operation, or written warning. Better to err on the side of caution and cite lower rather than higher.
Hot Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote