View Single Post
Unread 09-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #16
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, I'll tell you one of the reasons I decided to bite the bullet now rather than waiting for the war to declare a WINNER in HD. New movies are coming out. Once I decided I AM going to get into high definition, I was then stuck in a real quandary. Why buy ANYTHING at all now? Didn't want to buy standard definition as I would expect hi-def to be better. But I couldn't buy hi-def either, since I hadn't decided on a platform and didn't have a player for either.... So I wound up walking away and not buying the movie at all.

So I decided to spring for one of the platforms, and used the reviews of the upscaling capability as a major criteria for my selection. The Panasonic DVD player I now have already does a real decent job of upscaling, and this new Toshiba is supposed to be heads and shoulders about that one. So I don't get into the situation of having to feel that I need to replace ALL the SD DVDs I have with HD.

But it's STILL going to be frustrating when a movie comes out in Blu-Ray only in the hi-def format. Perhaps the upscaling will be so good it won't matter, but I'll have to determine that when I get the new unit.

I believe some quality dual players are just over the horizon, but the prices projected were oftentimes MORE than it would cost you to buy two separate players, one for each format. Besides, anyone who thinks buying any piece of consumer electronics these days that is going to keep from becoming obsolete in about 5 years is only kidding themselves anyway.