View Single Post
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #24
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Rich, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

The fact that the STS, in general, does the least "violence" to the engineering of the car's systems is a huge plus in my book. I wish it used sidemount intercoolers instead of a central one, and I wish there was a stainless plumbing option. I also wish there was more technical info on the site, but that seems to be a failing of many of them. But all in all, the STS is a strong contender.

Concerns with the STS, for my purposes are that I'd probably want it on a 427 or larger because I want lots of low end, the FMIC and associated cooling issues, and also the non-linear power delivery of turbos. Also the expense; by the time you go 427 + STS you're looking at serious change. I have to admit though, I loved the sound of yours when Greg took me for a ride in it. Even tootling around residential sidestreets, listening to the turbos spinning up and down was very cool.

I really like the idea of a blower better, but:

Maggies are proven, but undersized
Kenne-Bells are unproven
Centrifugals are proven, but don't make power down low

I think it likely I'll end up with a PD blower in the end. They just have the kind of power delivery I like. I'm hoping that Kenne-Bell will get a lot more units out there between now and when I'm ready, and that they do well. But the new Maggie 122 units might just work and they should be just as reliable as the 112s (read: like tanks). Then there's the guy in Miami that's working on a 3.3 Whipple kit...

One of the funnest things about Corvettes is that the aftermarket is so huge.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote