Thread: Micanopy, FL
View Single Post
Unread 07-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Micanopy, FL

Weekend before last, the wife and I took a drive out to Micanopy, FL just to see what it is like after so many years have passed by since we were last out that way. We first found it quite by accident when driving south out of Gainesville on 441 and just happened to notice the sign indicating the town. Just on a lark we turned off and decided to check it out. Now this was likely in the mid 80s, if I remember correctly.

Micanopy turned out to be a really neat quaint little sleepy town with some REAL antique shops and an old used book shop. I think they had one eatery there at the time, but don't recall. In any event the wife and I spent a few hours there, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and then continued on our trip. Pretty much forgot about that town over the years.

Then oh maybe in the mid to late 90s or so, we came to be in that neck of the woods again and decided to stop in and check out Micanopy. Boy, what a disappointment! Place looked like the yuppies had taken over. Buildings were painted in bold colors and I guess an attempt was made to make it more of a tourist stop over then anything. We spent maybe 15 minutes there and then left.

Not sure why we decided to go back this time, since in reality I would have thought it would have continued on that trend we saw last time, only gotten worse. Basically "antique" shops filled with imported crap that is about as antique as my tube of toothpaste. But seriously, we were pleasantly surprised. The place was much as we remembered it during our first trip. Old antique shops with REAL antiques (one had a LOT of old medical paraphernalia for sale that was pretty interesting), and even the old book store was about the same. Matter of fact, I found a few really old reptile books by an author I read avidly as a kid during the 50s. There are a couple of more modern false antique shops there, but they are much more subdued and tend to blend in much better with the real image of Micanopy. But we could just as well have been thrown back into time to the mid 80s as far as the way things looked there.

So if you have a free day, and like to see a real genuine sleepy old Florida town, take a trip to Micanopy. If you or the better half likes antiques, I think you will find it well worth the trip.

Yeah, I know, I should have taken pics. Maybe next time......