View Single Post
Unread 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #30
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Really a lot of hype about this car all over the place. Heard that one big dealer already has 90 pre-orders for them.

I was REALLY looking forward to the possibility of getting this new fangled car, but too many bad vibes for me. Another thing I thought of is all this rumor about the exposed carbon fiber body panels needing some sort of paint additive for the clear coat to keep the stuff from degrading in sunlight. Cost of this additive was quoted at $60K per gallon. Now, how many local dealers or paint shops are going to spend the money for this additive to have it in stock? And if they have to order it by the gallon, it's going to make boo-boos on the carbon fiber REAL expensive to get fixed. As for getting the entire car repainted (yeah, I know, I'm looking down the road pretty far, but if I were to buy a $100K car, I would keep the damned thing a LONG LONG time!), forget about it.....

Seems to me that a substantial amount of this price increase was spent on frivolous stuff. Yeah, the ceramic rotors are cool, but are they really necessary? Exposed carbon fiber? Why? Is a hood with the polycarbonate clear panel more expensive than a regular hood? Yeah, probably so...

I really wish GM hadn't busted my bubble with this. But then again, they DID save me a bunch of money by making some hokey design decisions.