View Single Post
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Another retired LEO's opinion.

I don't blame the ACLU or the attorneys. I've worked on both sides of the fence and see the need for the balance inthe criminal justice system.

I've seen, no proven, that LEO's have purjured themselves in deposition, in written report form and in court And the courts and in most cases, the agencies, have done nothing about it

We need the above to help maintain the balance within the system.

That said, I blame the proliferation and increase in violent attacks on lw enforcement on two (2) groups:

1) the COURTS
2) The AGENCIES.

The courts simply because they continue to hand out candy arsed, pat 'em on the arse sentences to those convicted of criminal acts and keep reducing the charges to gain a conviction ratio.

While I'm at it, I'll heap a little of that same blame on the States Attorneys Offices that ALLOW those plea bargains! There's a time and place to accept a plea. Violent crime time "AIN'T IT!"

The agencies for adopting pansy azzed politically correct training regimines and policies.

I remember in the 70's when I started, if you raised your hand to a LEO, you likely needed dental work once you were released from booking

I recall way too many days sitting in in service training, listening to "Human Diversity" insutructors who had never been in the field. ADministration types encouraging a kinder gentler deputy, and civil attorneys from the agency drilling us on the "don't get us sued" policies coming into effect.

Weapons training was cut to a bare minimum, tactical driving, and unarmed defense as well.

The PT program, designed to get the officers in shape to handle a violent criminal, was done away with due to input from the ADA????

All this within the 4th largest Sheriff's Office in the country

I've worked for them as well as one of the smallest Mayberry types you can imagine. Of the 2, Mayberry had the most aggressive officer defense program....

Arming officers with high powered "assault" rifles is great if they have time to withdrw them and bring the to bear. The problem is just that. YOu generally can't keep them with you at all times and having them "flopping around" in the middle of a tussle with a bad guy, is generally not a good idea.

They're great for standoff's and scenarios such as stated above, although, a few well placed high powered handgun rounds would have been just as effective. One of our female officers proved that with a knife weilding mexican in southern Hillsborough Courty. He approached, disregarded her warnings and 1 shot, 1 kill! center mass

Training, a change in policy and politics and better weapons (sidearms) will be a more effective cure for the day to day violence.

Mall and school rampages? Yep, bring out the AR's

Just another opinion.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote