View Single Post
Unread 08-29-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS19
Being a life long resident of South Florida and a 20 year veteran of emergency services, I would recomend the following:
Don't cut out your screens, if the wind is strong enough to take it will do so with or without the screens.
If you have pool it is not necessary to drain it.
Have at least two gallons of water per person per day for three days on hand. Remember that if you do not have boil water order you do not need to drink it you can still use the tap.
Have some non-perishable food on hand always!
Keep at least two propane tanks on hand for your grill.
If you run a generator run it away from the house to prevent carbon monoxide intruding into your home (I have had alot of these type of patients).
If you run a generator outside make sure that it is chained and pad locked or it will go bye-bye to a nice new home!
Do not trim trees during a storm! Tree trimming has been the biggest factor in the fatalities that I have responded to asociated with storms.
Do not drive on unfamiliar roads that are flooded. Often times thise roads turn out to be canals and you drive int0 them. I have had two drownings as a result of this.

Finally the biggest safety advice that I can give you is to use common sense. It if doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Stay safe
Excellent advise
Im a Florida native (almost 50 years and have been involved in law enforcement since '77. His advise is right on the money. Was the person who told you to cut your screens in the creen business?

If you don't have a generator, some battery (or human) powered equipment is in order. A hand cranked or battery powered radio and/or TV is a must fans and the like are also a good purchase.

I just bought 4 of these LED room lights, one for the 2 kinds rooms (w/baby), one for mine and a spare or one for the family room w/enought batteries for 2 weeks+. Can also be used safely around flammables/combustables as well.

Battery bkup for computer is also a good idea.

You might want to make copies and backups of important docs/files in case of major damage.

Emergeny services will get to you as quickly as possible if the need arises and we won't leave you stranded. This ain't f**kin' New Orleans!!!

Make sure you have canned, non perishable items on hand as well as a decent 1st aid kit.

Depending on your location and the degree of damage, a weapon and some ammo isn't a bad idea, but so far, thank God, hasn't been necessary.
Remember though, law enforcement will be busy with various search/rescue & recovery efforts, traffic contrrol and general peacekeeping/looting patrols. You might in a major event, find yourself responsible for you and your families safety and security for a short time.

Your cell phone may or may not work, again, depending on the damage in the area.

Utility crews are generally pretty quick to restore power. Those guys and gals kick some ass when the storms come and I have all the respect and admiration in the world for them

Finally, as mentioned, if you dont have to be on the streets, please stay inside. Downed wires/powerlines, wash outs and such are major issues after a storm.

Many years ago, a lady in a Toyota was driving down a local street over a small bridge crossing a drainage canal. There was water flowing over the road and she misjudged the current.

Car over edge, right through the rails...found her deceased downstream....

Stay safe,

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote