View Single Post
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #34
Harbor Master

Name :
Harbor Master has disabled reputation
Default To All Members of CF.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Perhaps you need to define "useless"....... I think that might be pretty subjective, and certainly not universal in scope.

With dvdcta, I see someone who is not very computer proficient trying his hardest to join in this forum in the best way he can, regardless, of how "useful" everyone else may think his postings are. He obviously wants to join this group and although his enthusiasm does not match his proficiency with a keyboard nor with navigating a message board, what is he getting from some members for his efforts?

I'll be honest, I'm pretty disappointed to see this sort of thing on this site. I thought we were all here to try to have fun here. Not be "keyboard bigots" trying to belittle someone else who may not be up to our own self perceived standards of what makes a post "useful" or "useless".

I'm sorry guys, but this sort of thing has to go from this site. I do NOT want to see any other member singled out and belittled by other members here. The only time such a thing may be relevant and proper would be IF you engaged in some business deal or activity with said person, and wanted to relate that incident, whether positive or negative, within the BOI forum on this site. Otherwise, if you have a problem with someone, contact me and/or the moderators about it. Belittling and embarrassing them in public with posts ABOUT them for what can arguable be determined as "frivolous" concerns, is just not welcome on this site. It presents a very hostile atmosphere to new or prospective members, which is unbecoming of what I and others wish for this site.

I hate to make rules, because rules need to be enforced, which takes time away from things myself and the moderators would rather be doing. And to be honest, trying to create rules to MAKE people play nice together on a public message forum is a very tough tight rope to walk. I would rather everyone take some time for some introspection about their own actions and see how it could be viewed from an objective viewer, then for myself or the mods to have to WORK at enforcing rules to try to limit such activities from members here I would hope would have more empathy towards fellow Corvette owners who may not be as good of keyboard jockeys as they are.

So I DO hope this does not portent a trend, and can be headed off before WE become something I don't believe any of us really want this online family to become.
I am engaged in debate with the owners of another Corvette Forum over this very issue. Same person, same issues, and same frustrations. I will defend DVD to the best of my ability as long as I can justify his actions. He is well intended and brings many good assets to your club. The thing I like most about him is his ability to make people smile. Off the wall at times and hard to follow. Who cares! He helps create an environment that motivates people to participate and have fun while doing so. I followed DVD to this site and am very pleased that I made the decision to do so. If I find that he is treated unfairly here as he was at the other site I will pursue the same course of action. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and not singled out by a small group of nay sayers. I know I am new to this site. But the truth of the matter is that I interacted with DVD for over a year. I would like to thank all of you in advance for your consideration and fairness on this subject.

HUTCH
Harbor Master is offline   Reply With Quote