View Single Post
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

Well, I can speak from the construction industry from dealing with mechanical contractors for the past 12 years. I have found that generally a contractor with unionized employees has a tough time competing with a contractor that does not have unionized employees in a public bid (low) environment. The difference sometimes is staggering. Everyone buys similar equipment, the difference is labor cost and company overhead. If these companies have a tough time competing, then I can understand the automobile manufacturer's having a tough time competing on a global market when faced with similar problems. Is the root of their problems all union? Not hardly, but I do believe it is a major part.

My personal opinion on unions is that this is not the early 1900's and people have a choice who they work for. The reasons people strike in modern times is comical compared to the reasons unions were originally formed. If your employer does not treat you right, find one that will. If you can't get the benefits, salary, etc that you want in your current field of work, find another one. There a thousands of people in the community I live in that would love to have the jobs that many of the auto workers have at half of the reported pay and benefits of the big three's employees.
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote