View Single Post
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
Harbor Master

Name :
Harbor Master has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdave View Post
Well, I can speak from the construction industry from dealing with mechanical contractors for the past 12 years. I have found that generally a contractor with unionized employees has a tough time competing with a contractor that does not have unionized employees in a public bid (low) environment. The difference sometimes is staggering. Everyone buys similar equipment, the difference is labor cost and company overhead. If these companies have a tough time competing, then I can understand the automobile manufacturer's having a tough time competing on a global market when faced with similar problems. Is the root of their problems all union? Not hardly, but I do believe it is a major part.

My personal opinion on unions is that this is not the early 1900's and people have a choice who they work for. The reasons people strike in modern times is comical compared to the reasons unions were originally formed. If your employer does not treat you right, find one that will. If you can't get the benefits, salary, etc that you want in your current field of work, find another one. There a thousands of people in the community I live in that would love to have the jobs that many of the auto workers have at half of the reported pay and benefits of the big three's employees.
gsdave, No disagreement about union labor driving up the cost of doing business. eg: Just got quotes for asphalt work from a very large and reputable company. The man doing the bid asked if I had any other bids. I told him yes and gave the names of the other bidders. He flat out told me he could not compete because his company was union and the others were not. His company still gets the majority of the jobs in the area he services. State and private customers alike choose him over the other companies. He has the highest quality at a slightly higher price.

The population of unions I am familiar with are either young or older. It matters not which group you fall into. The truth of the matter is that they have been treated like spoiled rich kids. Usually if they want it they get it. The company shares in the blame for this. Profits are high and the company wants labor rest on the property. Rather than say no to union demands the company rolls over and gives in to the demands to avoid a possible work stoppage.

For the most part your right about union demands being trivial. Goes back to the same thing about spoiled rich kids. I spoiled my children. To the point at Christmas after they opened there new toy they would play in the box the toy came in. Now how crazy is that.

HUTCH
Harbor Master is offline   Reply With Quote