View Single Post
Unread 12-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

The entire experience sounds unfortunate. Like 85 said (and I'll add my $.02), none of us would have written at 13 over with the exception of a heavilly pedestrian area, a school zone or working construction area.

As well, it sounds like 85 is familiar with the judges modus operandi

If she's about asking the officer if it's freakin' ok with him if she uses some common sense then I wouldn't place my driving record in her hands either

And if the officer implied that he didn't want to go to court, I can almost assure you he won't agree to any reductions.

That said, he can't "push" for chit in court. It is what it is!

In all my career, I've never seen a judge or magistrate allow an officer to amend a citation upward on speed.

They've allowed us to amend statute numbers and other scribner errors, but once you designate the speed, it's there!

Guess I'm too old school, but I believe in doing the job the right way!
Either write it right, live with what you write, or don't write it at all!

If you did go and he tried, I think I'd use that as an opportunity to make him look like a fool (sorry).

Huum? Let's see now? You said you got me at "X" but you wrote it at "X" (which is still a violation BTW), so, which is it? And am I correct when I say that you mentioned to me, "if I go to court you'd do....?"
That should get the judge/magistrates attention that something "ain't right in Disney" or she's asleep at the helm!

Of course, if he doesn't proudce the required documentation in his initial presentation, you could start asking about that as well.
His radar log, etc, make sure he has all his "stuff" with him.
Most do but if he's sloppy enough to do this, he might be sloppy enough to think you won't know

I've NEVER reduced the stated speed on a traffic citation! It is what it is!

If I wasn't comfortable with a ticket I either didn't write it, or charged the offender with "Failure to obey a traffic control device" which carries a lower penalty and points (depending on the speed).

Or I just didn't write the citation...period! But I wouldn't lower it when done on radar or laser.

It's too sleazy for my taste. Looks and sounds too much like revenue generation.

His "threat" is hollow but there's more he can say that could effect the outcome of your case.

Sorry to be so hard on the brother, but the initial stop was BS, the attitude as you've expressed was BS and the implied threat was BS. Did I mention that it sounds like BS?

I believe in traffic enforcement and saving lives

I despised being used as a revenue collector!!!

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote