View Single Post
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

As far as changing out the engine oil goes you will get a million different answers. I personally would rather change the oil to frequently than not frequently enough. In my Z06 I have changed the oil and filter 7 times in 9600 miles, the first time at 500, then 1000. I know, I'm nuts. In my 66 Corvette, I change the oil and filter every 1000 miles. Oils cheap. As far as the tranny fluid goes, if your car is a stick it didn't come from the factory with synthetic, most common recommendations I have read is to change it to synthetic at 7500 miles, this gives the synchros time to break in. If it's an automatic thats a different story. Supposidly the C5 has 100,000 mile fluid and filter. For an automatic trans the worst thing for it is heat. As the fluid gets older and contaminated it's ability to cool down the tranny lessons. When you check the fluid it should be a nice deep red or pink. (you probably knew that) If it is at all brown or if it smells burnt it definately needs to be changed. I personally think that it should be changed at no more than 50,000 miles along with the filter, but that recommendation is coming from a guy who changes oil as frequently as he changes his socks.

Like I said, oil is cheap and you will never do any harm by changing it frequently, only good. JMO

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote