View Single Post
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:37 PM   #14
Mekanic
Injector Guy

Name :
Mekanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Also, I thought the logistics of it all might be a headache. Where do you get bottles filled (especially around Tallahassee)?
Where I live there is NOTHING, no tracks, no drags, nada....but there are 3 shops that do fills, just gotta look around

Quote:
How long does a bottle last?
Going to the drags 2-3 times a month, as well as stop light runs, 1 10# bottle lasted 3 weeks to 1 month.

Quote:
Where do you store the spare bottles safely and legally?
Anywhere really, in the trunk, at the house, in a trailer. Although, We've never had extras. When you watch shows like "Pinks" and the like where they're swapping bottles is for 2 reasons.

1: Bottle is frozen, since they jet SO high, and they're hot-lapping, there is no time for the bottle to warm no charging system in car means no bottle heater, replace with warm bottle till other thaws.

2. Bottle is empty. The major drag guys build engines around the nitrous plate, and jet around 300-500 HP. Like drilling a hole in an aresol can, itll be empty faster than a smaller hole.

Quote:
Your power only lasts as long as the bottle has gas in it, so it could be embarrassing if you forgot to fill it after last weekend and have just a puff left when you REALLY want it.
Oh that sucks ass. Wouldn't it be embarrasing if you forgot to fill up with gas after the trip and died right as a Honda was revving at you?

Common sence, make sure you fill your bottle!

Quote:
How much does nitrous cost? Although the initial expense may be cheap, you now have a recurring bill directly related to how much your right foot tells you to use it. I don't know how much it costs, so maybe this is a negligible concern.
We pay $8 for a 10# fill.

Quote:
ALL of the other power adders are THERE when you want it and will not run out at embarrassing moments. And realistically, nitrous (in my opinion) is really only worthwhile if you intend to drag race (either on a track or from stoplight to stoplight). It's not really something you can just turn on and then drive all day like that. Or heck, maybe you can. Carry spares in the trunk and just swap them out when one goes dry...

Again, much of my opinion may be based mostly on ignorance, but it just didn't seem to be what I was looking for....... YMMV, of course..
Its definatley not something you turn on and leave on, its not great for road racing, except in passing...if the track allows it. And its worthless in autocrossing.

But for driving, street and strip, Nitrous is awesome. And again, totally safe.

A good wet system, as well as window switches werent around when people were destroying engines on nitrous. Wet systems inject nitrous AND fuel into the system, drasticly decreasing the chances of dentonation.

Dry systems are now almost as safe as wet, from window switches, and throttle position switches, which only allow nitrous to flow at WOT, when the engine is getting enough fuel to sustain the combustion with the added oxygen that the nitrous pushes in.

Basicly flip the arming switch for the solenoids and mash the gas, no button like we've all seen on FnF movies, when the throttle is at 100%, the nitrous solenoid flows, and power is increased.

Just like your turbo system, you had to have an adequite fuel system to match the new amount of incoming air. too much air+not enough fuel = boom. But your system is designed with the correct size turbines, and boost levels to not out-do the stock fuel system.

The same can be achieved with nitrous. Hell a Cavalier fuel system can hand;e a 35 shot all day with no worries. On a Corvette, you can do 150 with no modification, and 100 or less is totally gentile.

Hope that clears some things up.

Also...this was my longest post in like 5 years lol.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote