View Single Post
Unread 12-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #2366
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

But I'm not out of the woods yet. Yesterday when I started up the car to see if my cleaning some of the ground wires had made any difference, I noticed some oil on the garage floor behind the tailpipes. Great..... I remember talking to the tech that worked on my car, and he said he had a problem with oil blowing out of the tailpipes. He said that it turned out being a loose connection in the oil return lines, that he was able to fix by tightening one or more connections. Right now I'm not sure exactly which ones. I know I had to check the intercooler when I got the car back home, and sure enough, had to sop up oil out of the bottom of the intercooler. But it appears the problem has come back. So I'm not sure if it is the same leak he saw earlier, or something new. The oil scavenge pump sounds like it is worked fine, but I sure am glad this leak didn't happen on the way back home. It would have likely drained the oil pan leaving me stranded along the road in the middle of nowhere.

I took some pics of the fittings in the return oil lines, and forwarded them to the tech to have him indicate to me which fitting he had had to loosen while working on my car. I numbered the fittings to make it easy to reference them.

The fitting is loose at point #2 up front on the scavenge pump, and I had already tightened down #6 and #9 in back that were loose. I'm thinking I may have to pull off some of the fittings and put new teflon tape on them to seal them up good. I want to start with any that the tech had disconnected first and see if that fixes the problem, but I may wind up doing all the fittings that I have even slight doubts about. Apparently with a leak on this side of the scavenge pump, the pump is sucking air and not able to extract enough oil quick enough from the turbos. My guess would be that the loose fitting right at the scavenge pump would be the most likely culprit.

So that is what I will be working on tomorrow. Honestly for the money I paid for that clutch job, I really had expected I wouldn't have so many issues to have to deal with here at home.