View Single Post
Unread 11-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Wheel worries....

I checked the pressure in my right rear tire yesterday and noted that it was only 23 lbs. I put it at 30 lbs two weeks ago upon discovering that it was down to only 18 lbs. So obviously I've got a slow leak. I ran it out to McGee Tire early today, expecting to find that I had picked up a nail or something similar, but the tech told me all he could find was that it was leaking slighting along the outside rim at the bead. So he figured he could break down the tire and clean it up for me and I would be good to go...

The tech brought the wheel into the waiting room to show me that the leak was being caused by rust underneath the chrome plating on the INSIDE of the tire at the rim. It also appeared it was spreading to the outside, although I never noticed it when I was cleaning the wheels. But in any event, it's not really something that will heal itself, and will likely get worse. So he ground out that rust crap to make the tire seal properly, and that's where I am now.

When I bought the wheels back in November 2005 from House Of Wheels, I was told the wheels have a three year warranty on the chrome plating. So I certainly do expect this to be covered. Got an email out to Bob now, waiting on a reply.

Still, I have to wonder what shape the other wheels are in..... Perhaps this was a fluke.... but do I want to wait until they are out of that warranty period to find out they had cancer as well? But every time you let someone dismount a tire on a chromed aluminum wheel, you run the risk of damage. So no, it's not really an easy choice to make at all....