Thread: If I.....
View Single Post
Unread 11-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

I just saw in other posts that you are looking for a chrome bumper C3. That's a little different, especially if you insist on 4-speed and factory air. Not too many of those around. Roger has a nice 4-speed 427/390 '69 at the moment, but no air.

Have you ever considered an aftermarket A/C unit, like what the street rodders use? These are very compact and look nice. Street rodders are even more anal than Vette owners. Vettes have a small interior volume and don't need a huge A/C unit.

We forget that A/C was an expensive and not very popular option up until the mid-70s, especially on 4-speed performance cars. Such cars with factory air are not only hard to find, they command a substantial premium.

If you're looking for one that's stock or near-stock, I would consider joining the NCRS, National Corvette Restorer's Society. This is where all the guys that are hardcore for original C1-3 hang out. Most of the action at the NCM and in online forums is with C4-C6, just from sheer numbers.

I'm sure you could find NCRS members to help check out a long-distance car. Such things are common in their world. Also, they will know who the trustworthy dealers are, and where the good cars are. Good chrome bumper cars a lot of time don't even get advertised, they go to someone who knows someone.

Lucky for you, the big NCRS winter meet is in Kissimmee on January 18-21. Go hook up with those guys, that is *the* crowd you need. Bring cash and you might well come home with a car.

Good luck, and if what I told you helps you find a car, can I get a ride?
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote