View Single Post
Unread 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Sigh... I remember the good old days when I was a kid and any time I got to a beach I would tear off at full tilt and run into the surf. Heck, now with learning about shark attacks, sting rays, jelly fish, sea nettles, pollution, and now bacteria, it has just taken all the fun out of the beach for me. I remember reading an article about body surfing at Ocean City, MD a while back telling about the number of kids who did that and wound up hitting the beach wrong and breaking their neck, becoming paraplegics. Heck, I used to do that ALL OF THE TIME. I can remember sometimes hitting the beach pretty hard (it's pretty terrifying to catch a wave and be on the crest looking down at hard sand sometimes). Many of time my chest and stomach would be scraped raw from bouncing across the sand in cases like that. I never even gave a moment's though about the danger.

I'm really surprised I lived through childhood. No wonder my parents were always yelling at me.....

Anyways, about this bacteria, heck, Connie and I were at St. George Island beach just yesterday. I didn't do any swimming (see above) but was walking through the surf getting wet up to my swim trunks. So now I'm hoping I didn't have any cuts or insect bites on my feet or legs. Sheesh....

I read about another type of bacteria (or something) that frequents fresh water ponds here in Florida that some kids got infiltrated through the sinuses while diving. Wound up killing many of them. Matter of fact I think a popular swimming hole not far from here on national forest land closed the gates because of this or a similar problem.

Well, glad we have a swimming pool. But no telling what unknown dangers are lurking there.....