View Single Post
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #1386
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
Hey Rich, I guess if he couldn't dazzle you with brilliance, he would baffle you with BS...
Well, I do have to admit that I am completely baffled at why he thought I wouldn't notice this stuff.

Anyway, I spent the day working on the car. Got the half shaft installed on the driver side, so now both new ones are in. The replacement rotors are supposed to show up on Friday, so maybe over the weekend I'll have the rear end stuff all done. Well not completely, as I'm going to hold off replacing those brake lines till I have the front wheel hubs and brakes replaced. That way I can bleed all four calipers at the same time.

I also checked on the steel tube brake lines and was making sure they were out of the way of any moving parts or rubbing and banging against anything. I decided to slip some convoluted tubing over them all as that will protect them pretty well.

I was looking over the engine compartment from underneath looking at all the wiring and fuel lines running real close to the headers, and decided to run some high temp convoluted tubing I bought over them to protect them. The stuff is kind of gaudy looking, being bright chrome looking, but supposedly they protect the insides from temps up to 1,000 degrees F. I didn't like the main fuel line running up to the passenger side fuel rail running directly over top the header on that side, as that would likely heat up the gasoline running through it. So I ran the convoluted tubing as far up towards the fuel rail as I could, then ran the rest of the tubing into the tunnel plate. It was only a 3 foot section, but that should do the job. Plus it keeps that positive battery cable running to the starter from rubbing against that braided fuel line. I also have a complete tunnel plate insulating mat that I'm going to try to figure out how to install later on. It looks like it works by adhesive, so I'm not sure how long that will hold up. So I may have to also remove some of the tunnel plate bolts to put them THROUGH that mat to help hold it in place. Over on the driver's side there were some wires and connectors too close to the headers for my comfort, so I covered them up as best I could as well. I didn't do anything with the return fuel line going to and from the fuel regulator, as I figured I would be replumbing that stuff pretty soon anyway.

While I was under there, I cut any restraints on the fuel line that I'm going to use to drain the fuel tanks. Might get to that tomorrow. I'm going to have to feed that fuel line back over the differential when I disconnect it from the Aeromotive pump, so hopefully it won't be spewing gasoline all over the place when I pull it off. Might need to have something on standby to plug that hose quickly if that is the case.

Oh yeah, I found a section of old rubber fuel line just laying up in the tunnel plate, with the ends hanging out and tucked out of the way, so I just pulled that out of there completely. No sense keeping any junk in there that's not being used.

Doesn't really sound like a lot, but I feel good about what I accomplished today.