View Single Post
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I'm thinking that if it runs well on the MAF, I could set it so that the MAF fails at the frequency where the table no longer provides any lookup data. Which is 12000Hz. I know I've seen values higher than that when logging data while in boost, so I'm thinking that if I fail the MAF at 12000Hz, then the fuel tables of the VE table will then take over exclusively, giving me (hopefully) the best combo of MAF tuning and speed density tuning. This is all theory, of course, so it will really depend on how the car FEELS when I drive it. That will ultimately make the decision for me, no matter what the data logging shows.
Well, this sure sounded good in theory.

Been spending time calibrating the MAF and getting the car feeling REALLY good using it. So I'm thinking this is going to be a piece of cake, have the car running mostly from the MAF for air/fuel calibrations, and then when in boost and the MAF runs out of road at 12,000hz, have it flip over to using the VE tables during boost. Basically trying to get the best of both worlds.

Well one small problem with that. Once you fail the MAF, it STAYS failed till you shut the engine management system down. It doesn't get re-enabled again when you drop back out of boost and into the zone that the MAF is comfortable in.

So that pretty much makes it pretty cut and dried for me. I have to go with a Speed Density tune for my car since the MAF cannot handle the airflow that boost from the turbos provides. So all of the tunes and logs I did with the MAF enabled have been just a waste of time. Well, except I did learn some things along the way, of course.

But I could have been a LOT closer to wrapping up this tuning stuff if I hadn't chased this idea down that dead end alley.

Ah well, been getting some rain lately anyway. And looks like more the next few days. So that will give me time to figure out which tune was the last one I did running solely off of the VE tables and I can roll back to that one and figure out where to go with it after another logging run to see where I am at. I don't think I did much with the upper RPM range figuring I would concentrate only on the areas that overlapped with the MAF range and then deal with the boost areas of the VE tables when I had the low and midrange running well.

Heck, I'm going to wear out this new engine just working on the tuning.