View Single Post
Unread 10-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, I guess you need to figure out just how you want to GET to that 100 hp+ level. You can rebuild your own engine with new performance goodies, pull your motor and drop in one already built, or go the forced induction route that just bolts onto your current motor.

Bear in mind that there may be blood letting involved. Smoking tires is literally money up in smoke. Clutches are designed to handle a limited amount of power being applied to them. And the same goes for the transmission and read end. So just adding power may not be the end of your spending money. The best advice I heard from someone was when they made the comment that if you need to scrimp and scrape to just get the money up for the power adder, then don't do it. Because the after effects with things breaking will certainly break your piggy bank.

Now as to the Z06, I assume you are talking about going to the C6 version. Yep, that would certainly fill the bill, and you would likely bypass some of the concerns I mentioned about just adding power to your own ride. But all things considered, you would still be spending a LOT of money for that 100 additional horse power. Probably much more so with the C6 than by building up your current ride. Figure out the price you would have to pay for a C6 Z06 even with yours in trade and that will give you a rough idea of what you have to play with in upgrading your current car. Don't forget the finance charges, either, because they STILL have to come out of your pocket, even if spread over 5 years or more.

But good luck in coming to a decision. Just spend as much time as you can reading about options before making a decision so you THOROUGLY understand what you are getting into. I just recently got STS twin turbos installed on my car, and at this point, I'm not really sure it was the best way for me to go. Maybe there WAS no "best" way at all....... Just have to decide what compromises and drawbacks were best to live with along the way...