View Single Post
Unread 06-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #32
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, that is definitely a concern. From what I understand the dealerships check cars that come in for drivetrain warranty work to see if the PCM (or whatever they are calling it in the new models) has been modified. Doesn't matter that it had been returned to the stock tune before bringing it in to the dealership as apparently they can detect that the tune has ever been modified somehow. But then again, they have more sophisticated tools at their disposal than the tuning programs we can buy commercially.

With all the purpose made electronics in these cars these days, I believe that it is getting to the point where most people will be reluctant to keep them after the warranty has expired. And after new stocked parts have evaporated, well, people will likely be scrounging around in junk yards quite a bit.

Heck, with all the doodads in my Grand Cherokee, I doubt I will keep it after the warranty expires. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that if the radio fails, the car will be dead in the water. So many functions of the car seem to be handled through the radio's interface, and I'm not sure it would even be driveable if the radio went kaput. I'm guessing the new generation Corvettes are likely going to be in the same boat. The radio is the obvious choice for a command center over all the functions in a fully loaded vehicle.

I suppose the shade tree mechanic days or just about over with unless you are only working on older vehicles. Maybe shops that do tuning and mods are seeing that writing on the wall.

Just idle speculation, of course.
I think the day is coming they will have speed controls on cars and know if you have been speeding and Ins comps making people use a device to track how they drive. Once all that starts i am done driving.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote