View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, apparently one or more changes I made to fix the stalling issue at cold start brought back another problem I had earlier. While driving and coming to a stop light, when I would push in the clutch pedal, the engine would rev up to around 1400 to 1500 rpm until coming to a dead stop. Then at a dead stop, the idle would drop down to a more reasonable 1000 rpm. Still a little higher than I would like it to be, but better than 1500 rpm.

The data log shows that timing is apparently causing this to happen by staying too high, as the throttle plate doesn't move during that time to change the air flow. So I went back to tune #20 (I am now on iteration #25) and pulled the two base spark timing tables (B5932 & B5933) from that tune into the new tune.

I'm hoping that this isn't a tradeoff whereby I have to choose between having stalling at cold start when I blip the gas pedal, and having the engine rev up higher than I would like when the transmission is taken out of gear coming to a stop. If they are tied together, I will have to see if I can figure out a compromise point between the two problems.

Other than that, the car ran really well today when I took it out for a drive. Throttle response feels improved from the last time I took it out, which is on the plus side. Cold start is much improved, but that rpm oscillation is still there, as I could hear it when backing out of the garage.