View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well finally! Something I did made a difference. I made changes to 13 tables that I thought might make a change to that stalling problem. Apparently one or more of them did the trick. Now this really isn't the recommended way to do tuning on a car, especially if you don't know what you are doing (like me) as most people will recommend only making a single change each time and then test the results. But this would take forever with the cold start issues. The iterative process is pretty drawn out because of the time necessary for the engine coolant to cool back down in between runs. So I can only get maybe two runs per day to check out the changes I make.

Anyway, here's where I am now...

The stalling has ceased, probably because the throttle blade doesn't drop down below 16.9 percent. But there is still a loping of the idle after the gas pedal blip. And apparently idle is revving up quite high as the engine warms up right before going into closed loop mode.

Some of the difficulties of this stuff is trying to figure out whether the chicken or the egg came first when looking at the results seen in the log data. You can see the RESULTS, but what is the actual CAUSE of what you see? Is airflow, or the AFR mix causing the timing to change, or visa versa?

So I'm going to make changes to each of those 13 tables mentioned above, in order, to try to get the idle to come back down to a more normal speed. The engine loping is still an issue, but it's not really a killer like the stalling issue was. I may or may not spend time trying to track that down and fix it immediately, as I want to move on to throttle response as soon as I can.

But at least now I feel that I am moving forward...