View Single Post
Unread 07-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #2284
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

From what I can see, the LS6 and LS7 flywheels both have 6 bolt holes for mounting to the crankshaft. However, it appears that the LS6 flywheel is uniformly flat across the surface facing the pressure plate, but for the LS7 pressure plate the bearing surface is recessed. Regardless, I will have both flywheel replaced along with the clutch. For one thing, a resurfaced used flywheel was put in there, and from what I understand the GM service manual specifically states to DO NOT resurface the flywheel for reuse.

As for a possible torque tube issue, the torque tube mounts to the bell housing. It appears to me that the end of the crankshaft will take both the smaller LS6 style pilot bearing or the larger LS7 style bearing. As I mentioned that implies to me that the input shaft to the torque tube must be different in the LS6 and LS7 powered vettes. It would have to be shorter in the LS7 in order to use that larger pilot bearing.

If you look at the pic I posted above, you can see where that larger LS7 style bearing would be pressed into the end of the crankshaft.

Here's a video of someone removing an LS3 pilot bearing, which appears to be that same larger style bearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ZAnN_OqiI

Now, honestly, exactly what years and which exact vehicles used one type of bearing or the other, I really don't know. But I'm guessing putting the wrong style pilot bearing in could cause you a bunch of headaches.