View Single Post
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Most of Florida has been taken over by the invasive Cuban brown anole, which tends to wipe out the native Carolina Green Anole that we have here in Wakulla County. Personally, I believe the green anoles are much more personable than the Cuban browns.

The first picture is of a Six Lined Racerunner, which really lives up to it's name when they want to skeedaddle from a perceived thread. Then can get up to 9 inches in length, but are very slim and streamlined. Most of the length will be the tail.

The second picture is the Green Anole, of course. 6 inches in length would be a rather large one.

And lastly, a Fence Lizard. They might get to 6 or 7 inches in length, but are a much more robustly build lizard than either of the two. Of the three, the fence lizards are absolutely the most personable and the easiest to get close to once they earn your trust.

We also have brown backed skinks, southeastern five lined skinks (which have brilliant blue tails, broadheaded skinks (which can get rather large, for a skink any way), mole skinks (including a rather rare pink tailed variety, and glass lizards. Only seen a few glass lizards, but I learned not to mess with them. Most lizards will drop their tails when they get agitated enough, as a defensive mechanism, but glass lizards are particularly prone to doing this when handled. It has to be traumatic for them, so I try not to disturb them when I see them. Years ago I actually had a rather large glass lizard come to alert me that I was burning down the woods from a fire I had left unattended. It was fortunate that he came to get me when he did. It was rather odd that he just came up to me like he did from out of the woodline. Of course, it was probably just that I had burned up his home, and it was pure luck he headed over in my direction. But he sure did have a rather accusatory look on his face.