View Single Post
Unread 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The guy quoted me a price. I had to assume he was experienced in putting in pads for buildings of this nature and knew what he was doing. He actually showed up here this morning intending to get started, which tells me he was completely clueless about what he was doing if he was going to start digging and putting up the forms. I can't know that someone else doesn't know what they are doing. I'm having enough trouble trying to figure out what I need to know, much less someone else who is supposed to be a professional.

I've been looking over the permit packet and it is completely goofy. They have a page there that is called the "Property Owner's Permit Affidavit" which describes some interesting stipulations.

Basically is a statement that I sign claiming that I am the owner of the property covered by the permit, will be doing the work covered by the permit, know what I am doing (which is not true, but a minor detail), and take full responsibility for the codes and regulations. If the building inspector finds deficiencies, it is my responsibility to correct them. Sounds fair enough.

But now it gets odd.

In bold letters is stated:

IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR THE PROPERTY OWNER TO OBTAIN THE SERVICE OF ANY UNLICENSED TRADESMAN TO PERFORM ON ANY PROPERTY OWNER'S BUILDING PERMIT.

Now just what the heck does THAT mean? What exactly is a "tradesman" and if i am hiring him to do a job for me, and am responsible for the work that is done in relation to passing the inspections needed for the permit, who the hell cares if he is "licensed" or not?

Then we get to the section that continues the strangeness..

"I understand that.
  1. State law requires construction to be done by licensed contractors, and that I have applied for a permit under the exemption to that law.
  2. The exemption allows me, as the owner of my property, to act as my own contractor with certain restrictions even though I do not have a license. I understand that I must provide direct onsite supervision of the construction myself.
  3. But, that I can only build or improve a one-family or two-family residence or farm outbuilding, and that I may only build or improve a commercial building provided the cost do not exceed $25,000.00.
  4. That the building or residence must be for my use or occupancy and may not be built or substantially improved for sale or lease.
  5. That if I sell or lease a building I built or substantially improved within one (1) year after the construction is completed, the law will presume that I built or substantially improved if (sic) for sale or lease, which is a violation of the exemption.
  6. That I may not hire an unlicensed person to act as my contractor or to supervise people working on my building.
  7. That construction must be done to building codes and zoning regulations.
  8. I also understand that it is my responsibility to make sure that the people I employ have licenses requires (sic) by state law and by county or municipal licensing ordinances, I further understand that I may not delegate the responsibility for supervising work to a licensed contractor who is not licensed to perform the work that is being done. That any person working on my building who is not licensed must work under my direct supervision and must be employed by me; which means that I must deduct F.I.C.A. and withholding tax and provide workers' compensation for that employee, all as prescribed by law.
  9. The construction must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, building codes and zoning regulations.

I understand that any person, who violates any provisions of Chapter 49, Part 1, Florida Statute, and/or Chapter 8, Wakulla County Land Development Code, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable as provided by Section 75.082(4). Florida Statutes.

I dunno, but whatever laws they are talking about most certainly could be grouped under the title of "THE CONTRACTORS SECURITY PROTECTION ACT", it appears to me....