View Single Post
Unread 05-03-2019, 12:49 AM   #2309
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Got the new torque tube input shaft from RPM Transmissions with the front bearing pressed into place today (Thursday). Looks in pretty good shape, but I'm not sure it is a *true* GM product. But I checked the front bearing surface and it is the correct diameter, and the length matches an old shaft I have here in one of the cabinets. I doubt RPM would use anything that was an inferior product.

The splines on the shaft that go into the clutch disks are a little bit longer than my original input shaft, which I guess is a good thing since that triple disk Monster clutch will likely be a bit thicker than a stock clutch.

One thing of note is that I tried both a new pilot bushing and a new pilot bearing I have laying around here on the input shaft end and the bearing seems to fit the shaft a LOT snugger than the bushing does. Actually a noticeable wobble in the bushing. So likely a good thing I am using the bearing this time, as I don't like that much play between the shaft and the bushing.

Also got in the shims for the throwout bearing/clutch slave cylinder, in case they might be needed. I was told that more than likely they won't be, but it is just a real good idea to check that spacing between the throwout bearing and the clutch pressure plate fingers, just to be certain.

I also picked up a set of valve cover gaskets, hoping they are the correct ones.

Hopefully the clutch itself will come in next week or so. Would be nice to get this wrapped up soon.