View Single Post
Unread 06-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3318C5
I have the hurst also and at first I loved it. I then changed the shfiter ball and started to dislike it. I put back the original shifter ball on the Hurst and I enjoy the shifter again. To me the ball/handle made the difference.
Yes, I agree. I believe the height of the shifter handle changes the leverage ratio and can make a BIG difference in feel.

That being said, I installed the MTI shifter today but I haven't taken it for a spin yet. Seems OK, but I had a snag in that I couldn't use my C6 shifter knob I bought a while back. But I believe that is the fault of the knob and not the shifter. It has been gradually loosening up the whole time I have had it and it appears I have finally run out of threads to spin it another turn to tighten it. So now it bottoms out 180 degrees from where it needs to be aligned. I suppose I could mount it on the drill press and take a little bit of plastic out of the top, but that is going to be a pain in the butt trial and error thing. So I had to mount another style knob I had laying around here that is a bit taller then the C6 knob. I may need to look around for something else that is a bit lower yet has a locking ring for it. These ones that fit on the shifter just by tightening them don't seem to hold up before getting loose over time. Maybe just one of those plain old Hurst 8 ball knobs would be best.

But in any event, the play in the Hurst shifter without those bias springs is very obvious. The shifter obviously needs those springs in place otherwise the shifter has vertical play in it. Can't have it any other way. The springs will increase the lateral motion force needed for shifting, but they also keep some of the sloppiness out of it by holding the shifter down into position.

The MTI does not have this problem and is more like the stock shifter without those springs. It also uses the standard lower boot, so I didn't have to use the jury rigged one I made up for the Hurst shifter. Luckily I bought a spare a while ago, otherwise I would have been stuck trying to de-modify that jury rigged contraption of mine.

Maybe tomorrow I will take a spin and see how the new shifter feels. But honestly, I think you can make a world of difference just in your selection of knob you use. It may not even be necessary to change your shifter at all, since from what I have seen, there doesn't seem to be any substantial differences between them as for as the way they accommodate the leverage variables available.