View Single Post
Unread 12-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #2373
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Picked the car up on Thursday. The tech put it up on the lift there at the shop so I could inspect it, and everything looked pretty good. Saw some signs of oil leakage in the front of the engine, but I think it was from a past leak from the scavenge pump that blew back on the engine and some other areas up there. There were signs of the oil leak in the tail pipes, so I cleaned that up real good, figuring I could check that on the ride back home as a good indicator of whether there was still an issue in the turbo scavenge pump plumbing.

After a short drive, I checked the tailpipes, and there was no oil residue, so that was looking good. The drive home was uneventful, and actually a pretty pleasant drive. Car felt really peppy, and the clutch felt really good. No drive train noises, thank God.

I put the car up on the lift when I got home, and best I could tell there was no new oil leaks showing up anywhere. I cleaned up what old oil was on areas, figuring I'll just keep an eye on it to see if there actually is an oil leak somewhere. But everything looked pretty good, with nothing touching either half shaft at the differential.

So I was dusting off the exterior of the car, and wiping off fingerprints here and there when I was wiping down the area near the deck lid when I saw something skitter across the lid. Hmm... A piece of the decal on the deck lid had broken off. I sure as heck didn't hit it hard, so I looked closer. Heck, the remaining "leg" was severely cracked and just barely hanging on too. And closer inspection showed cracks and odd marks here and there. So I checked the front decal on the bumper fascia, and that too was pretty messed up.

Now what the heck? I went back through a bunch of old photos I took and even looked at some videos where one or both of those decals was visible. They sure didn't look like that before taking the car into this shop. Matter of fact, when I was trying my hand at wet sanding the paint, I actually used Q-tips to clean out the painted areas inbetween the openings in those decals. So I sure as heck would have noticed all those cracks then.

I'll post more picks in the next post, showing what looks to me as damage caused by a rotary buffer.