View Single Post
Unread 05-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #2312
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, the apparent manufacturer of this input shaft I bought (AMP Distributing) says in a post in a thread I posted elsewhere about this:

Quote:
The sleeve pressed on is a case hardened bearing material and designed to work with a pilot bearing.
I didn't realize that I was looking at a sleeve pressed onto the stub end of the input shaft. But the guy says this will be fine. Still, I wish it had been polished somewhat smoother than my closeup pics are showing. Holding the input shaft in hand, it does look just fine, so maybe I am just looking at it far too closely to where what I am seeing just doesn't matter. I measured the stub, and it comes to 0.590", which from what I have been told, is GM spec for the diameter of that end that goes into the pilot bearing.

But I still haven't heard why it looks like the area in front of the splines appears to have been hand filed, instead of machined. But does it matter? Maybe I am just expecting perfection in an imperfect world.

Something tells me that if I used that same camera to take pics of the stub on that input shaft that came out of my car, I would likely have a heart attack, even after the tech polished it up.