View Single Post
Unread 02-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Geez, small world. I am also a process server and I didn't mean to imply the 'brotherhood' thing, just that we were working in the legal system. I was just curious if I showed my ID Badge along with my drivers license if a typical officer would cut me any additional slack he wouldn't otherwise. My ID would have nothing to do with the offense because it couldn't be justified.

Not sure what you meant about Walter Mitty so I Googled it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sec...f_Walter_Mitty
There are a lot of those types in this and the PI field
They tend to think of themselves as part of the "brotherhood" especially if they happen to be appointed by the Sheriff.
In actuality, an appointment through ther Chief Judge has a little more "Oomph" to it because your authority doesn't necessarily end at the county line

We (process servers) are officers of the court during the time we're doing what we do; but, we're not employees of the court nor the Sheriff.

What we do usually has little if anything to do with law "enforcement", and more to to with civil litigation and assisting in the function of the "system" (again, usually civil, but sometimes criminal).

Trying to explain why you were doing 70 in 35 becaue you had a time line to meet, probably isn't going to give you any passage with an officer.

And God forbid, if he/she has ever been on the recieving end of one of our services, you're screwed!

we get a lot of support from LEO's regarding idiots that think we're trespassing and call the police to make us go away
That one usually bites them in the ass
And we get support from some agencies when a person attempts to obstruct or oppose us.
And I've had Deputies show up and put people in jail after they've tried (unsuccessfully) to assault me. Most of the LEO's I've met in this capacity, have been top notch

As for a traffic violation though, it's going to be a totally discretionary call, but I'm going to have to go with "I doubt it."

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote