Thread: hcso useless
View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Well, that was succint

Sorry Brad, I can tell you're pissed!

Seriously though, I understand your anger, having been the victim of an auto burglary in the past.

I have a couple of observations and a couple of questions for you.

Observations.

1) Calls are prioritized. Were they aware that the perp had threatened to kill you and the family and was still present? If so, the call should have taken top priority.

2) Even if it was given a top priority, that doesn't mean the deputy that works your area was available.

I've worked nights in "the combat zone" where EVERYONE was tied up on priority calls. I've seen them (even had to do it) pull cars in from other districts to handle the overflow. I've seen supervisors (Sgts., Lts., even the Captain once) respond to calls just becasue there were no zone units available

And I've seen cars pulled off backup status (leaving the other unit with no available backup) to handle another priority call such as yours.

3) A burglary, when not in progress and when no one is in danger, is a low (or lower) priority call in the total scheme of things. It's not when it's OUR crap being broken into, but from a triage standpoint, it is.

Questions:

1) Was the dispatcher aware that the perp was still present and threatening you and the family?

2) Did the dispatcher know that you were using force against the perp?

3) Were the Deputies familiar with the suspect? How did they determine that
the perp was S/20 (crazy)?*
* even if he was "crazy" they could still arrest him. That "excuse" is BS

It's not our job to diagnose for the most part. Make the case and let his attorney make the case for incompetence!

4) Did they Baker Act him (Florida mental illness act) or did they just turn him loose?

Finally, if what you say is correct, and I'm not doubting you, then you have certain avenues for a grievance.

You have the deputies names. If not, all the units that responded (officially) will be on the dispatch report.

You can:

A) Contact thier supervisor and discuss the matter with him/her.
B) Contact IA (Internal Affairs) and file a "formal" written complaint.

A crime was committed. You either had a burgalry, an attempted burglary, or a vandalism (depending on the obvious intent of the perp). Something should have been done.

As for the response time, again that's something that can be taken up with supervision; however, from a BTDT perspective, there may have been no other choice

This is why I say that any administrator that "threatens" (and that's exactly what it is) to cut back on front line first responders, simply because they can't figure out how to live within thier darned budget!, needs to be summarily relieved of his/her position immediately!! You trim the fact and perks first, not the personnel.

Sorry about your car. Hope the damage can be quickly repaired. I'm also sorry you had a bad experience with my former agency. Things are unfortunately, quite different these days it seems

Please keep us informed.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote