View Single Post
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #20
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

[quote=85vette;126403]
Quote:
Having a CC permit is all well and good, but in these situations (carjacking, robbery, etc.) the majority of the time the victims are at a disadvantage, due to the element of surprise, That is to say, when the bad guy already has his gun pointed at you(or knife, tire iron, whatever) there is no way you can retrieve your weapon in a manner that would have a positive result on your behalf...
Absolutely!

Quote:
That said, a distraction could possibly buy you some time.

Quote:
...My advice, stay away from the shady areas of town. When you have no choice try to leave at least a cars length behind other cars when you come to a stop light or stop sign so that you have some room to manuver if you see it coming. This is a good idea anywhere. When it comes to fight or flight, often flight is the best defense.
Excellent advise!

Quote:
The bottom line is, whoever gets the drop has the advantage. And it's not practical or legal to drive around with a gun in your hand. Use common sense and be alert.
While I agree with your though, there are time when I and I'm sure others, have found themselves thrust into a bad situation by no fault of thier own.
My wife was notorious for getting lost and getting off the interstates in the worst damned places!

And as you mentioned, although not practical or legal, I wouldn't let that particular issue stop me fom being prepared for a brief period.
If the police are around, then by all means, don't do it. there's no reason since there should be no reason to feel threatened at that point.

If you're alone in one of those situations, by all means, make the weapon readilly deployable.

When/if I find myself in one of those "hair raising" predicaments (for me, that's pretty bad), the weapon is either in my hand, in my lap, on the seat next to me or on top of the console, and ready for immediate deployment!
If it's anywhere else, it's a paperweight and IMO opinion at the time of the attack, doesn't exist.
Once I'm out of the percieved danger, it gets tucked away again.

You should have your CC permit, so, should law enforcement show up, shove the mofo under the seat or cover it with a piece of paper in the seat next to you, and you're legal again
It's once again "concealed" vs being in plain view, the latter of which can get you arrested in some places.(Doesn't make much sense does it, but that's our law)

Never let paperwork interfere with your survival.
Always better to be judged that carried

Quote:
I was in my patrol car one night and a guy came up to me and pulled a flare gun out of his pants pocket and handed it to me. Scared the sh** out of me! He had found it and just wanted to turn it over to an LEO. That showed me right then how easy it is to be on the losing end of an altercation with a weapon.
Brother, that's an eye opener

I've had some instances, both as a LEO and in the private sector, where the other person has already deployed a weapon.
In those cases, you'd better be able to think quick
Diffuse or dispatch the situation is all you can do.

Quote:
Having a weapon and knowing how to use it is good, but not always good enough. Be careful, be safe, keep your eyes open to what's going on around you. :thumbsup
This is truly the best advise that could be given

Vigilence, preparedness and practice are the three things that will save you life, if anything will, regardless of the situation

Over the years, I have taught, and continue to teach, various weapon disarmament, retention, and personal defense/improvised weapon courses.

Most now are taught to the civilian populace.
Real estate people, teachers, security personnel and others with a need. People that will routinely find themselves in potentially precarious sitations without the availability of immediate police or other assistance.

ThereIS a time to attempt to disarm an individual.
For the average person, in most situations, that time will never come.

Sandman did the right thing, he gave up the car and lived to tell about it!

As 85vette said, if you see it coming, you can react. If whatever it is creeps up on you, you're probably screwed.

My advise to all my students is the same....practice and prepare, practice and prepare, practice and prepare.....

Run through mental scenarious and determine in advance, how you will react.
We have to stop thinking like church deacons, and start thinking like the bad guys if you want to be prepared.

Believe me, if you can imagine it, some scum bag already has.

The more you run through mental scenarios, the better able you'll be to react automatically to a situation.

Practice...when you can, find someone and practice (safely).
If you can't find a "crash dummy", practice by yourself.

In the martial arts, we used kata's, 1-2 and three step drills, to build muscle memory and reactions.

Go over the techniques "in the air" until they're smooth and without thought.

My final word would be, if it's just a material item, give it up!
It'll usually be recovered later.
If not, then it's probably replaceable.

If it's physical, fight with the intent to "stop the "aggressive act that necessitated the use of force.."
You NEVER "wanted" to kill another human being, nor was that your intent.
Leave the bravado to Segal, Swarzenegger, Stalone and the other Hollywood heros.

You didn't do what you did to "kill" or maim the other person, you simply did it to stop thier action.
If the suspect dies in the process, that's his/her problem. Should have choosen better

If they'd have stopped, retreated, they'd still be in one piece

Stay safe out there

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Last edited by Shadow; 11-23-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote