View Single Post
Unread 04-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #2217
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I'm not getting anything displayed when I click on that link.....

Anyway, I got the passenger side motor mount installed today. I loosened the bolts on the front subframe to lower that a little bit so I wouldn't have to jack the engine up as much. I loosened the nuts on the motor mount bolts and just jacked up the engine using one of my OTC underhoist stands until the motor mount loosened up. That way I knew the weight was off of it.

However, there is a snag. Those motor mounts I bought a slightly taller than the Pfadts. When I put in the motor mount I just could not get the motor mount bracket bolts to thread in, and wound up having to raise the engine with another couple of turns. I have the passenger side mount in, but I'm not real comfortable about the extra height. That FAST intake manifold was already REAL close to the back lip of the firewall, so every 1/8th inch counts. I discovered that Summit sells the Hinson 3/8ths inch shorter motor mounts so I am going to just bite the bitter bullet and buy them. I really don't want to use these taller mounts, put it all back together, then find out that the intake manifold it pressing against that back firewall lip.

Anyway, the method of removing the motor mount bracket on the side of the engine block along with the motor mount seems to work very well. At least with this passenger side with the header removed. From underneath, you can remove the bolts and just pull the bracket and mount right out where the headers were. Easy.

Hopefully it won't be much of a struggle with the driver's side. But it is certainly not going to be as easy, since the motor mount and bracket will have to come out from the top. Assuming I can get that header out of the way enough to work in there. So that means I need to raise the engine a bit while I have the car low enough so I can lean over the fender to get down to the motor mount. Looks like it's going to be a back breaker for sure. And they don't give you much play in those holes in the motor mount bracket for much room for error lining them up with the threaded holes in the block. I sure as heck don't want the cross thread those bolts, so that will probably be a headache getting them lined up correctly.

"Never give up, never surrender" I guess....