Thread: Do ya trust 'em
View Single Post
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #23
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

Personally, I think it downright silly that people don't use their own gray matter and THINK about what is going on. IF there was, in fact, a major oil gusher in the Gulf of Mexico, and if a very small percentage of it was scraped from the surface or washed ashore, then WHERE is all of the rest of the oil? IF dispersants were used and IF they did the job, then they emulsified the oil and mixed it with the water within the Gulf of Mexico.

If all of the above is true, then anything living within the emulsified mixture quite likely is contaminated not only with the oil, but also with the chemicals that compose the dispersant. Since I am responsible for my own health and welfare and do not care to rely on the illogical statements made from entities not unduly noted for their honesty nor inclined to make statements contrary to the health and well being of their own financial position, I believe it behooves me to make a rationally sound decision concerning becoming part of a chain of events whereby those contaminants might percolate up the food chain into ME.

Quite frankly, it certainly won't KILL me to eat chicken for a while, awaiting results of those guinea pigs who choose this path for themselves.
What I find downright silly, is all the "end is near" rhetoric I've been hearing since this thing started, from professionals and lay people alike.

We've heard everything from a resulting totally dead sea, to the end of seafood as we know it, to the start of a major earth clamity that will likely spark the destruction of the planet

Jesus Christ!
No wonder the tourism and restaurant business is down in some parts of the state

I have no problem with a logically based decision.
So let's look at this for a moment.

Since dispersant is also spread via aircraft, and I'm sure some is carried away by the wind, and rain cycles, not all of it necessarily went into or remained in the contaminated area.

As well, our GUlf feeds in and out of the mouth of many of the rivers of our state, going from salt to brackish to fresh water via tidal exchanges).

This 'contaminated" water will then find it's way into the aquifer, and on to the homes, farms and gardens of our state.

As well, seabirds will eat some of the now contaminated fish, dive into the now contaminated waters, and walk along the now contaminated shoreline and seagrass.
They then migrate to who "uncontaminated areas", die on the land, get eaten by other animals or birds, and/or crap on the grass and grain that "may" ultimately be used to feed the chickens, and BINGO!! Contaminated chicken! (and beef, and vegitables, and fruit and.....
We are all so fawked! We can't even be safe vegitarians!

And lets not forget the fish that will also migrate to various ares of the Gulf not yet contaminated, spawn, be caught, etc., and thier meat, or that of thier offspring, and thier offspring, ad nauseum, will again contaminate the food chain.

Finally, the tourist and workers that handled the contaminated oil/dispersants.

Any likelyhood that they could spread the contamination?
Not likely, but God knows, we don't want to rule that out either, right?

Now, I'm not saying to believe the government or BP (I've already made my opinion clear on those two groups previously). My suggestion is form a valid conclusion based upon research and understanding, not fear.

My point being, using one's "gray matter" is a great idea; however, if one is controlled by fear, paranoia, and overthinking a problem, then one becomes part of the problem rather than the solution.

Stockpiling seafood was probably a good idea (wish I'd though of it, but I'm not that concerned.

See, again, I generally couldn't tell you the difference in taste, between a gulf shrimp caught in the Mississippi Gulf region from that caught elsewhere in the Gulf. For that matter, just about anywhere else they're caught.

I ieat them, not study them

Same with most fish (there are a few). Some people can tell the difference between a trout caught locally and one caught elsewhere. A salmon from Alaska vs. some stream in the hills?

Me, it's fish, and it all tastes like.....nah, I'm not going there...oh hell, why not? ....CHICKEN! (what did you think I was going to say? You buncha perverts!!~

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote