Thread: Do ya trust 'em
View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #28
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
Right now no one know the detrimental effect of the dispersants use so far....And it is alot more stronger than Dawn liquid...
Without knowing exactly which dispersants they used, the quantities, etc., it's going to be difficult to determine the effects short term. Unfortunately, as with most things we do, it's going to be a wait and see approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
...Research and understanding may actually be hard to come by when it is apparent that both BP and the government MAY have the incentive as well as the power to make research and understanding a stacked deck in the mainstream media.
Certainly they "MAY."
As a matter of FACT, they DO have BOTH the POWER and the INCENTIVE to do just that!

Quote:
...http://www.businessinsider.com/bp-is...reement-2010-7

Let's see you are scientist and BP comes to you with an offer like this. Hmm, $205 per hour times 8 hours per week times 52 weeks equals $85,280 for a year of basically just turning a blind eye to this issue. How many scientists, especially in today's economy, are going to let scruples get in the way? How many scientists can BP afford to pay off in a program like this? What else may be going on that we just haven't heard about because the people who know CAN'T or WON'T say a thing about it?
I didn't read the link (it's 6:30 am and I'm getting ready to head out again!) but I assume from your desccription, that you summarized it?
Again, more mass hysteria builing hype.
Just like the "BP/government controlled" media and such stories

I'm NOT denying that "spin" exists. We all know that it does.
But why add to the problem?

Are there going to be scientists and researchers that can/will be "bought?"
Sure there are.

Just like there are cops, and business people, government officials, you name it.
But there's always going to be the other side.
Those with morals, ethics, dedication, that will negate the "bad apples."

Besides Rich, think about this.

If all the "paid for" scientists are saying one thing, and you come along and prove something quite the opposite, don't you think you'd have your own shot at the big $$$$???

Hell, look at Erin Brockovich! And she wasn't even a scientist!

So all is not lost simply because BP can buy some scientists.

Quote:
Yeah, research and understanding can sometimes be hard to come by, but with some time and effort, they can be achieved via reading between the lines from the information that IS available.
Yep
Have to chose your sources carefully though.

Quote:
Am I wrong for taking the stance that I am? Maybe. Can you be wrong? Maybe. But given that my or your health and welfare might be hanging in the balance of making a decision on what to eat, I think I have far less to lose than you do if I am wrong. I just miss out on some fresh Gulf seafood for a while. How's things looking from your perspective if YOU are wrong? What are you going to possibly be missing out on in the future?
Could be either.
FWIW- I don't eat that much "fresh Gulf Seafood."

And I'm NOT saying thay you are incorrect for taking the precautions you've chosen. Not at all.
As I stated, I'm not all that worried about my seafood being "fresh Gulf" seafood.

Crab, Shrimp, Lobster...and various white fish, are the mainstays of my seafood consumption/diet.

Maine, Boston, Alaska, the Atlantic and still, apparently, most of the Gulf is uncontaminated (reltively speaking) and available for picking.

The rest of my family aren't huge seafood eaters. The wiufe enjoys it occasionally, but our diests are similar in the type of seafood we consume (we're dieting together).

As far as hitting the seafood joints along the coast, I'll still go

The amount of seafood that I'll consume at these places, I feel confident will not have an ill effect on my health. And I'm sure the alcohol will negate any ill leffects

Seriously though, most of the seafood we consume is frozen and caught elsewhere. So it's not a huge concern for "me."

And just FYI-Tankers discharge thier bilges in open water regularly. Cruise ships as well.
Do you really know what's being dumped?
Every now and then, we'll get a report, and invest will occur and some cruise line or transport company, will be nailed with a "fine" (wow) for illegal dumping of oily waste of other substances.

I could worry about this and it's effect on the sealife and environment that it lives and thrives in, but I don't.
How about it's effect on the seafood we eat?
I realize it's on a much smaller scale, but it still exists.

So of course you have a right to be concerned. We all do.

As for it's long term effects on our health, right now, it's anybody's guess.

Your precautions are valid and well thought out.

After Agent Orange, and some of the crap our government pulled during the 1st Gulf War, I generally don't believe anything that comes from them regarding our health!

So the bottom line is, am I concerned? Of course I am.

And what will be the effect on my health and those around me in 20-30 years?
Beats me?
If the seafood doesn't get me, I'm sure there will be some other natural, governmental or commercially created calamity that will.

But I'm NOT going to let it rule my life!

In reality, sure I'm cautious about where certain foods come from as should anyone.

What I'm NOT going to do, is add to the already out of control media hype that the sky is falling and we're all doomed!

I prefer to stay positive, look toward a (hopefully) brighter future, and be selectively cautious regarding the food I eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Oh, and just to help you feel better about the testing methods being used for Gulf seafood, here's this -> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100802/...pill_fishermen

If it don't smell bad, it MUST be good....
Interesting read Rich

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote