View Single Post
Unread 05-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #16
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427
BM, I am not sure that I agree with your cost to power comparison. Now I do agree that the C-6 price tag is a bit hard to swallow for me as well, but your statement about the money people pay for Z06s, "C-5 or C6" to me does not make much sense.

From your posts, clearly you have an LS1 vert, which by the way is an awesome car for the money. I own a '01 6 speed vert, so I agree with the ability to drop the top when the weather allows. I was not sure which year C5 you owned so I just looked up the last year of the C5s for comparison (2004). Base price on a vert was $50,835 and I would think that most verts were ordered with some creature comfort options that would have driven this up a few thousand. In fact, the MSRP on my '01 was $52,880. Base price on an '04 Z06 was $52,185, and there were not many options available on the Z06, they pretty much came fully equipped. So, in my opinion, if you bought your C5 vert new, you probably paid a little more for it than a Z06.

I am not sure what Stage I package you are talking about, but $4,000 will probably buy you a package that includes new exhaust (headers, cats, x pipe, mufflers), new CAI, maybe a new set of roller rockers, and a tune. I would think that this would give you an additional 50 to 70 horses. This would put you in the area of 395 to 420 hp, and in the range of the stock Z06 of 405 hp. If we started with a base 04 vert at $50,835, added some creature comfort factory options for an additional $2,500, and the $4,000 in performance options to get it into the range of the Z06 hp, you are now comparing the modified vert at $58K verses the Z06 at $52K.

Your analysis talked about hp and tq numbers, assuming that alone would make a modified vert as fast, or as quick as a stock Z06. There are a number of differences between an LS1 and a Z06 that makes the latter a stronger performance vehicle, but let me just talk about one very important area. The transmission gearing. The Z06 ratios are 1 - 2.97, 2 - 2.07, 3 - 1.43, 4 - 1.00, 5 - .84, 6 - .56, rev - 3.28. The LS1 6 speed ratios are 1 - 2.66, 2 - 1.78, 3 - 1.30, 4 - 1.00, 5 - .74, 6 - .50, rev 2.90. The A4 is 1 - 3.06, 2 - 1.63, D - 1.00, OD - .70, rev - 2.29.

The closer ratio transmission alone will pull much stronger and quicker through the gears than an LS1 6 speed or auto. So, if I did my calculations correctly (which at my age is not always the case) if you modified an '04 LS1 vert in the same hp range as the Z06, you would have about $6 grand more in your car than an '04 Z06 and you will probably not beat it at the drags, and you definitely will not beat it on a road course. But I do have to admit, your top goes down in good weather!

I am pulling your leg a little bit here, but my point is it is difficult to compare the two vehicles. I too, like the fact that I can drop the top on my '01 vert and go cruising. But, by no means do I think that my '01 can be in the same performance class as my Z06 for similar or less money. Just not going to happen.

Just a side note, I got my high speed license a few weeks ago at Pocono International raceway. There was a C6 Z06 in my group and I could stay with him in the in field road course, but when we got out to the straight that additional 100 horses became extremely apparent. This was not a comparison on a dyno, but a real life experience on the track. The C6 Z06 is a beast, but I also admit, it is more money than I want to spend. My collection is just fine without it!

Rich
Wow,That's some info Rich,I love to learn new stuff.First off Congrats on your High Speed License.Well I suppose all I can do now is go out and get a Zo6. But anyways I'm big enough to say that with those figures you are right and I was misinformed Just thought it was a low rwhp and tq # for being a 07 zo6.But for the price,[07 zo6]which is high in my book,I suppose in the right area and the right shop for the money you could only come in close to rwhp and tq with mods to a stock z06,c-5 or c-6.Thanks again for the info.But it is nice to take off the top.Believe when I say if someone gave my a z06 I'll take it.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote