View Single Post
Unread 03-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Shifting the six speed

I've been reading threads here and there about how some people feel that the Z06 (maybe C5s in general, but I'm only going by the stuff I have heard, and I have a Z06) is kind of rough feeling around the edges shifting gears. The transitions from one gear to the next just don't seem to feel buttery smooth in a lot of cases. And I can see why some people may think that. I doubt by a long shot that I am the best around with a stick shift, although I've had them in my vehicles off and on ever since I could drive, but there does seem to be a knack to getting the Z06 to shift smoothly.

The trick is RPMs. If you shift at low rpms the car just is not comfortable with it and kicks at you in disgust. You get clunks and jerks as it feels difficult to match the speed of the flywheel with the clutch shifting from one gear to the next when the engine rpms are not much above idle. But WIND it out a bit and see how that changes things. Hit 3K on the tach before shifting to the next gear. Make the engine growl a bit as you push the torque on up the power curve. This makes the Z feel more at home and gives the shifts a much smoother transition. The gears will just flow from one to the next when you get the drivetrain feeling more at home with what the car was designed to deliver.

Of course, it's kind of tough to do in city driving if you are trying to get the best gas mileage you can, but hey, you can't have everything! The Z06 is happiest when it is breathing well. Your ears will tell you what you need to know.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote