View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I've also read that changing the fluid in the manual transmission with Mobile 1 ATF has helped some people with smoothing out the gear shift changes. I'd be willing to try that out, but without some sort of lift, it just isn't feasible for me to get to the drain and fill plugs on the tranny. I bought my Z with 58K miles on it and am planning on eventually changing out all the fluids. Just makes sense to do that to keep everything in tiptop shape.

I think the shifter may be an issue as well. The stock shifter was kind of sloppy feeling and I often had problems catching the gear I wanted just with regular street driving. I have since put in a Hurst shifter and the throws just seemed much more precise and "dead-on". However the effort was increased quite a bit with lateral movements of the shifter because of the centering springs. I eventually took the springs out completely, and the shifter is much easier on my right arm. But the cost of that was that the throw feels a little more loose then it did with the springs in place. Not as bad as the stock shifter, but definitely different.

One tip for anyone considering changing out their shifter is to get a new knob for it. That way when you finally get that blasted knob retainer out of the shifter, you can throw that SOB as far away as you can and never need to use it again. I put the C6 shifter on, and it feels just great in the hand.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote