Thread: C5 Alternator problems
View Single Post
Unread 09-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I used to actually have a chrome plated alternator way back when, but it didn't last long. And the plating was pealing off of it. That is why I would prefer polished aluminum this time.

There might be a solution if I have a clearance problem, though. Back when Aaron Scott was working on my C5Z, he indicated he was having ignition problems and recommended that I replace the MSD 82858 coils I had on the engine with regular stock LS6 coils. Which I did. Because I trusted him at the time. But with hindsight now, perhaps those coils I have sitting in a box are perfectly fine. I looked them over today, and heck, somehow they sure got scuffed up on one side, so I have no idea what they have been through.

Anyway, I will attach photos below, but the place where there might be a clearance problem with the stock LS6 coils, might not be so with the MSD coils. Since I have both, I can certainly check that out when the alternator shows up. Replacing the coils isn't any big deal, so if the new alternator fits with the MSD coils, and the coils work fine, then problem solved.

So we will just have to see what happens.
Attached Images