View Single Post
Unread 03-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The more I read about this, the more I'm thinking that this really needs to be checked in my C5Z.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/tra...wear-and-tear/

I know the RHS block is a quality piece of metal, but still, this alignment really needs to be done periodically even when just replacing a clutch, and surely replacing either the engine block or the bell housing itself, I would think this check would be as a matter of course, a requirement. I am very doubtful that either Chris Harwood or Aaron Scott checked it at any time. And certainly the problems I have been having with my drivetrain ever since could very likely be exhibited by a misaligned bell housing when the new engine was put in.

I can see where the pilot bearing would become prematurely worn, as well as the front torque tube bearing because of the angle forced on the input shaft. Perhaps even the clutch disk itself and the throwout bearing. The odd noises I have been hearing could be the clutch disk not mating flush between the pressure plate and the flywheel when I take pressure off of the clutch pedal and those surfaces start rubbing together at a slight angle. I would expect to see the outside edge of the clutch disk perhaps having much more wear than the rest of the surface area on the disk.

But a wrinkle in this theory is why would it be intermittent? Unless something that is supposed to be fixed, is not as fixed as it is supposed to be.