View Single Post
Unread 04-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #34
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Was hoping for a good soaking rain today, but no such luck. The strong front heading our way from the west is just breaking up and we are getting barely a drizzle. 0.03 inches so far, and unlikely to be much more.

I cannot figure out what breaks up those storm fronts before they get to us. They will reach just east of Panama City, and then just evaporate before they reach us. It's not like we have a mountain range west of us or anything but something in that area is obviously having an effect. I've actually seen strong rain bearing fronts break up to the west of us, then reform to the east of us dropping a lot of rain. I just cannot figure out the mechanism locally that would cause that to happen.

Well, I have heard some people claim the Magnetic Lab in Tallahassee is influencing the weather around here, but I'm not sure historical weather data prior to it's construction would support that theory. From what I have heard from folks, this area where we live used to be farm land, but it was all mostly abandoned which allowed the forest to grow back. The stream through our land, according to some folks we talked to, used to be crystal clear until tannin from forest growth tainted the color of the water. So something apparently caused the failure of farming attempts here. Perhaps it is this phenomenon affecting Spring time rains, when they would be sorely needed, that was the cause.

I guess it is just one of those unsolved mysteries, I suppose.
It always dies out before it makes it to us to the south. Did that yesterday.

No upper level support means no rain.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote