View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Scott,

It seems to me that the headers alone to be Jet Hot coated were $300, and the complete system (except the cats) cost me $550. Anthony said turnaround to get the coating can be 1 to 2 weeks. If they hadn't fumbled the ball I would have had the system in about 3 weeks, I think. I think you would be pushing it to get them by the 12th. I don't know if I can recommend LGM to be able to meet the deadline after my experience. If it were me and that were my drop dead date, I'd probably look for a Plan B.

They have the headers and pipes in stock, but they ship out en masse to Jet Hot and then have it all sent back to them and THEN ship to you. Maybe it would be possible to have them ship to Jet Hot and then directly to you? That would certainly save you some time, and I can't see why they wouldn't do that unless there is some issue I'm not aware of. I don't think Jet Hot would have a problem doing it that way, so if LGM isn't willing to work with you, maybe contact Jet Hot, buy the headers and pipes and have LGM just ship YOUR headers to Jet Hot and have Jet Hot send them to you when done.

Off hand, I don't know of anyone who would have the LGM headers in stock already coated.

As for the O2 sensors, I had the front ones replaced because I read somewhere that you should replace them after 50K miles or so. Since the old ones were coming off anyway, seemed sensible to do this at the same time. Additionaly cables came with the header system for the rear O2 sensors, since they were relocated further back. If you get the cats, you will get the straight pipes to use instead of the cats if you are so inclined. But those flow through cats REALLY are flow through. You can look through them and see daylight. So I really don't think there will a dramatic power loss by using them rather then leaving them off.

BTW, my vette tech told me that when it comes time to replace the clutch, one side of the headers will have to come off in order to get to it. He didn't say anything about the starter, but I'm wondering if that may be an issue as well. Someone did tell me that coating the headers will help keep some of the heat off of the starter, which is a good thing to do.

Good luck with the install!
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote