View Single Post
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
But Red...what happens when you exceed what you paid into Social Security....does it then become "free stuff"?
Bear in mind that the money paid into SS over the decades would have been accruing interest if it had just been salted away in an interest bearing savings account. The REASON the government has gotten itself into hot water with SS is because they treated the money coming in from this program as a free pot of gold to be dipped into as a general fund, instead of investing the money wisely to pay for the promises they made with this program. And now they want to blame it on US, calling it "entitlements" like it's some kind of dirty word we should be ashamed of when we want to cash in our chips. Quite frankly, they took money out of every paycheck I earned and it was not optional on my part to participate. The government treated my paycheck as their OWN entitlement, it seems, and now they want to squeal like pigs (literally) caught in a grinder when it comes time to pay the piper.

Personally, I am retired too, but am not drawing even a dime from either my state nor federal retirement. And quite honestly, I'm not expecting that to be available when I might need it. Those programs will either become dissolved when the government entities responsible go insolvent, or else they will be paid for by freshly printed up money that will be worth little more than toilet paper because of the raging inflation that the government is painting themselves into a corner with.