View Single Post
Unread 10-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
What kind of hp/tq increases did you get/notice from the twin turbo's? Cost?
Well, here's a dyno chart after AntiVenom installed the twins:

A couple of things are noteworthy here.

(1) The STS twin turbos replace the mufflers. As such, the noise within the car has gotten MUCH louder. Maybe more than I really like. Which may be more than YOU really like as well. I've taken a video so I can let everyone hear the exhaust, but I haven't massaged it to put on this site yet..

(2) Going the smaller steps first, in my case, may have been a mistake. Headers ALWAYS seem like a good idea for a performance mod, but in my case, it may have been detrimental when combined with the STS rear mounted turbos. Notice on the graph that the REAL power increase doesn't hit until around 4,000 rpm. In some ways this is OK, as you generally are reving up the motor when you really need the power to be there. But (and this is a BIG but), the one time so far I really "got on it" I was in third and passed a couple of cars. You could really feel the turbo squirrels running in the cages and my Z just pressed me back into the seat. However, when I shifter to fourth, it just felt like all the pep had evaporated. I didn't make note of rpms or anything else, so this is not very scientific, I'm afraid. But looking at the power graph, if you are hitting 5500 rpm or so in third, and shifting to fourth puts you around 3,000 rpm, there should be a noticeable decrease in power on hand because the turbos stopped pumping as hard. So in effect, in order to get the most out of those turbos, I really need to keep the revs up into the power band, which in my case, is honestly maybe a bit higher than I would like it. I think having more boost hitting earlier (like around 3,000 rpm) would be MUCH better. When I was looking over all the info for the STS kits, that is what I thought I would be getting. Yeah, my car CAN put 500 horsepower down at the rear wheels. But I have to be at 6500 rpm to get it. How often and how long, realistically, will anyone WANT to do that?

Anyway, this brings up other issues to consider. BIG cams (and other power mods) can give big power, but they may be in the very uppermost RPM range limit of your engine, and lower end could suffer somewhat. So in that respect, you may not only have to decide how much power you want, and how you want to achieve it, but also WHERE in the RPM range it is really going to be and what is BEST for you. If you want power you can USE, it has to be where it is most useful to you.