View Single Post
Unread 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
...SB-234 will allow CWFL licensees to choose the method of carry most appropriate to the situation at hand and decriminalize accidental and casual failure to maintain concealment...
I have to confess that I have not read the proposed bill; it sounds like a great step forward for onnce.
However, if only making the "casual" or "accidental" exposure of the otherwise concealed firearmlegal, why not make open carry legal period and be done with it!?
Several states already have open carry laws and it works out well. Model after those and stop reinventing the damned wheel.

Quote:
Members of the Florida Open Carry movement look forward to the bill passing having received assurances from Governor-elect Scott that he would end the open carry ban.

Quote:
SB-234 will also allow for concealed carry on college campuses by licensed students and professors. Students for Concealed Carry on Campus was formed by college students immediately after the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech. They advocate for licensed concealed carry on college campuses to put an end to what is referred to as a “defense free zone” in our nation’s post-secondary institutions. College carry prohibitions also generally extend to student and faculty parking lots. This makes students defenseless during their drives to and from campus. Students for Concealed Carry on Campus has chapters at colleges across the state.
This will be interesting to watch.
Overall, what I've seen of college administrators lends itself more toward a bunch of hand wringing, spineless, please defend me because I don't believe in deadly force, tree hugging azzwipes

Unfortunately, the campus police tend to foster these attitudes (again from my personal experiences) and want to promote a more kiddie friendly campus, rather than accept that most are truly small cities.

I foresee a huge outcry from campus police depsrtments and college administrators over this one...God I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
The bill looks to fix the parking lot issue off campus as well. Currently licensees may leave their firearms secured in their cars in private parking lots at their own places of work. SB-234 extends that protection to cover wherever you may legally park your vehicle. Thus you can visit a location that prohibits the carry of firearms but not be defenseless for the trip.
Sweet!

Quote:
The Florida Chamber of Commerce has fought the parking lot provision in the past but has lost some member businesses in the process.
Good!
Whoever was in charge, needs to be remonved!

Quote:
The NRA got involved in the issue after hearing from a father, whose son was killed in a car accident, when he was told by the private cemetery’s management that he could not visit if there was a gun stored in his car.
I'm not sure how I would have handled that?
How did they know in the first place?

If it was my son's funeral, I don't think they'd have had enough people present to stop me.

If law enforcement tried to interviene, I'm sorry to say that this would be one time where they'd have to fight me
Not proud of that statement, but it's factual.

Quote:
Currently all law abiding Floridians can only purchase a handgun in Florida or a rifle/shotgun in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. Another provision of SB-234 will allow Florida residents to purchase firearms in any other state as long as they pass a criminal background check and comply with all federal and state laws where the purchase is made.
I'm not up on the firearms sale and transfer laws. Can you provide more detail?
What stops me from purchasing in say NC from a private seller?
Is it federal or state or both?
Thanks.

Quote:
Department of Agriculture employees have been taking fingerprints for carry license applications since October of 2009 at regional offices across the state. This program has been highly successful in servicing applicants but there is a problem, the statute currently requires that fingerprints be collected only by law enforcement agencies. The bill also authorizes the Florida Department of Agriculture to take fingerprints for license applications
So, they're not a "law enforcement" agency?
(Sorry, a carry over from elsewhere).

It's rediculous not to allow them to perform the function. It's not a function "specific" to law enforcement.
In most cases, when you go to an L.E. Agency to get printed, you're printed by a civilian employee anyway, and not a LEO.

Makes no sense not to.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote