Unread 08-01-2006, 03:46 AM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket
Whew, that was a mouthful Rich!
Yeah, and the Predator is considered as kid's stuff for tuning. The real heavy duty stuff is with programs like HPtuners and EFI Live. I just don't want to blow up my Z while I am climbing the learning curve, however....

Man in the old days, tuning your car meant having the plugs, points, condensor and air filter replaced. If things had gotten bad since your last tuneup, maybe a new distributor cap and ignition wires. The WORST that could happen is it might run worse then when you took it in if the tech (mechanic in those days) goofed something up or the points weren't set correctly. NOW, a tune means hooking up a computer and you hope the keyboard jockey knows what he is doing. Worst that could happen? Well melted or broken pistons, for one.........

One thing I can't figure out, however. If a person can look at logged data and make a determination of an OPTIMUM result based on values presented in the data, why can't the PCM program itself be smart enough to be self adjusting to attain optimum values? It's only a program. If it is programmed with target values, then is SHOULD be able to adjust the same parameters a human being can via the keyboard in order to reach those optimum results. Why DOESN'T the PCM ALWAYS have the optimum air/fuel ratio?

Can you tell I used to be a programmer by trade?