View Single Post
Unread 10-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Probably any of the better shops in Florida can do around that deal.

But RichZ brings up excellent points.

If you are content to keep your power gains moderate, and you don't thrash your car excessively, ancillary expenses like driveline upgrades/breakage may be avoided. Based on what I've learned so far (as I'm going through the same education process as you, only with a C5) is that somewhere around 100 rwhp gain may be about the upper limit between "no worries, mate", and the type of expenditures RichZ mentions.

There are four basic approaches:

Head/Cam car (H/C)
Big engine (427 or more)
Supercharger
Turbos

Each has advantages and disadvantages, and each makes sense at some budget/power points and not others. For each, there are various stages of tune from near-stock driveability to race car.

As a very rough guidline, here are the sort of numbers I have been gathering:

"Full" head/cam car, $8-10k in motor work, 100-150 (maybe 200) rwhp gain
Big engine (which usually implies full H/C with it) $14-22k, 200-300 rwhp gain
Supercharger, $8.5-10k (stock engine), 150-200 rwhp gain
Turbos, $10-12k (stock engine), 150-250 rwhp gain
More is available for more $$$, max-effort "street" engines are now around 1000 rwhp.

The higher you go in the power gain with each package, the more temperamental it is likely to get. And remember that when you get over about 100 rwhp gain, if you "use it" a lot, things are liable to start breaking at any time. Not saying they will, plenty of guys get lucky (these are basically very stout cars) but they can and do break and you should be prepared for that. Price out a transmission rebuild, new clutch, differential rebuild, etc.

Here's a suggestion, which is what I've decided to do myself: do it in smaller stages. That way you can spread out the cost and/or decide to stop at the point where any further increase is just too much money or too much compromise in the daily enjoyment of the car.

Typical stages:

1) Cold air induction (CAI) and exhaust. CAI would be something like a Callaway Honker. Exhaust would be headers and a new catback. CAI would be $3-600 installed, and headers w/catback would be $2-3.5k installed. Some guys split that up by making the very first mod a catback (I did). Altogether this should be worth 40 or so rwhp. Add another $500 and 10-15 rwhp for a dyno tune if you're so inclined.

2) Cam & "kit". $1600-3200 installed, depending on how fancy you get and any other upgrades you do (oil pump, etc.) A C6 mostly comes with the upgrades C5 guys tend to do. Power gain here is highly dependent on how radical of a cam you choose. Anywhere from 20-80 rwhp. The 20 hp one will drive just like stock, only better. The 80 hp one will be a nasty beast "race car" deal. Add another $500 for the dyno tune, which is required at this stage.

3) Heads, $1400-3500 installed, again "depending". 20-50 rwhp gain. A lot of guys combine steps 2 and 3. It saves money on labor, you don't have to buy the valve springs twice, and the cam and heads can be selected as a matched set. But of course it's more cash up front.

At this point you're at or past the "fully reliable" limits of the stock powertrain and you have to start budgeting powertrain upgrades along with any further performance upgrades. This is how guys can get $25-30k sunk in mods on blower/turbo cars without trying too hard.

If you know you want over 500 rwhp (which is a whole heaping ton of power, way more than a C6-Z06) it can be cheaper to start with a forced induction (FI, blower/turbo) setup right from the get-go.

Shops with a good rep in Florida include AntiVenom, RevXtreme, Next Level Performance (Mike Norris), and Horsepower Sales. I have visited the first three and felt they each had their strong and weak points, but I would probably let any of them work on my car.

That's the quick version of what I've learned from others, so far, fwiw. I emphasize that this is based on research, not personal experience. Get lots of qualified advice (which will sometimes conflict) and choose your poisin. Welcome to the addiction!
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote