Thread: C6 Oil leaks
View Single Post
Unread 07-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I go on binges where I read a LOT about various motor oils, basically comparing one against another. I suppose many car people go on the pursuit of finding what they think will be the *best* oil for their engines. The goal, at least for me, is to find an oil the basically ceases all engine wear. So when I read accounts (wish I could remember who) of a shop claiming that with the new formulations of oils that have eliminated zinc (ZDDP) and phosphorus, unusually early failures of turbochargers (which typically have journal bearings) have been noted, it raises a red flag to me. We are talking about WEAR here, fellas!

Yeah, I know the manufacturers are claiming that this reduction or removal of ZDDP only affects older engines with flat tappets, but I guess I've become suspicious of claims that don't seem quite logical to me. How do engines wear out then? Crankshaft bearings, rod bearings, camshaft bearings, are all journal style bearings. What about the contact of the piston rings against the cylinder walls? Doesn't a product that helps to reduce wear on all of those parts worth keeping in the oil?

Apparently the government has mandated this change in engine oils, and I don't know about you, but my faith in government officials having an adequate understanding of oil technology, much less having a vested interest in my engines lasting as long as possible, is pretty much non-existent.

Anyway, yeah, I know some people swear on Mobil 1 synthetics. And I would imagine for my Jeep Wrangler 6 banger, just about any oil will be just fine and dandy in it. But for the high performance engines in the vettes, well, I don't know about you, but I'm thinking more horsepower is going to mean more forces at work against bearing surfaces. So I want a little extra there, regardless of what the government says it thinks I need.

Oh yeah, yes, GM recommends Mobile 1, doesn't it? But someone tell me please, why would GM have any reason in the world to want the engines in the vehicles they sell to last way beyond the warranty period? Aren't worn out engines one damn good reason for someone to want to buy a new vehicle? What does GM sell more of, vehicles and repair parts or, well,
anything else?

YMMV, of course.