Thread: C6 Oil leaks
View Single Post
Unread 05-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I figure a followup is in order here. About a month or so after I posted this thread, I had a failure on the C6Z that turned out to be a wheel speed sensor on the passenger side front wheel. The indicator I got was an ABS fault on the DIC. When I was pulling the car out of the garage one day, I heard a *clunk* which sounded like the brakes grabbing. Then the DIC light came on. In hindsight, I guess the *clunk* sound was the ABS system complaining before giving up and sending up the red flag.

So I decided to get it looked at. Turned out that the hub needed to be replaced, since the wheel speed sensor is integral to the wheel hub assembly. This was done by the local Chevy dealership since the car was still under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the car. I was also informed that the service tech discovered that the brake booster/master cylinder was leaking brake fluid. So that got replaced as well.

The interesting thing is that now, many months later, what I thought was an engine oil leak has just gone away. Not a drop leaking any longer. So was I seeing brake fluid underneath the engine instead of engine oil? Sure seems to be the case. But what a coincidence that the signs of leakage were being exhibited at the oil drain plugs and the oil filter! And the fluid sure did look like engine oil to me. I never would have guessed that it was a brake system leakage. I mean, what are the chances?

But did I notice a loss of fluid in the brake master cylinder reservoir? Sure didn't. Can't say I even looked closely at it, to be honest.

So I guess you just never know. Something that seems like a simple leak could be something completely different from what you assume you are looking at. So you go about trying to fix the wrong thing, and get puzzled by your efforts having no effect whatsoever. And like a dummy, I kept thinking that my repair just wasn't good enough, so I kept trying harder to fix what wasn't the actual problem.

Last edited by Rich Z; 05-02-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Duh, I really should proof read my typing....
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote